How Do Hosting Solutions Work?
A hosting solution entails stashing and/or sharing given content on a web hosting server managed by a hosting provider. There are various types of hosting services used for different aims, so let's study them. Thus, you can decide what you need, depending on whether you'd like to launch a web site, e-mail addresses, or to share files with chums and colleagues.
1 website hosted
30-Day Free Trial
5 websites hosted
30-Day Free Trial
- File hosting: a solution supplied by particular firms, which permits you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single function is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a record of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage accounts often include adverts next to the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a certain span of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you have a paid file storage package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting merchants, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly incongruous interpretation of the real denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud hosting environment would distribute the workload between different hosts of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving miscellaneous hosting services (mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is simply a sort of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; specific distributors provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting kind is appropriate if you desire to share a great number of images with pals or associates since the service is mostly free of charge. You will obtain a random link for every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to tackling your mails. Some vendors offer hosting services for web sites, but do not offer an e-mail hosting service. If you desire to own an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to keep a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can create mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domain name. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video clip, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video clip creates a given amount of CPU load, so with a handful of videos and a few hundred web site visitors, you may have a hard time with your hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will enable you to run as many video files as you want to without worrying about system resources.
- Hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to possess a site. To some extent, it embodies all of the aforementioned hosting sorts since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can create databases and email addresses, upload videos, etc. At MyGreatHost you can have a glance at shared hosting and dedicated server packages that permit you to have all of the aforesaid solutions in a single location. There may be limitations based on the kind of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are planned for specific content only.